Question
Posted by: Sad | 2011/09/15

So confused

Lately I''ve been feeling SO dissapointed in myself and the choices I''ve made up till now. I''m 35, hapilly married and we have a son (5) - I just feel so frustrated career wise!!
I studied Food Service Managerment when I was younger but never finished the course - just basically gave up in my last year and started working.

I''m a PA/Dept Assistant now and would love to start studying but have no idea what though? I''m scared that I''m too old. I feel like kicking myself because everytime there are retrenchments looming I start realising that I have no proper qualifications to speak of. I can study through my company but it has to be in line with my current job profile which makes it even more difficult.
I hate feeling so indicisive. Any advise would be appreciated.

Psychologists ( not all of them, but those with an interest in vocational guidance ) can do testing that checks both your range of interests ( and dislikes !) and your range of talents, and lets tyou know what matches. You can study almost anything you wish in your own time. And is there nothing available through your company program, which would interest you ?

5
Posted by: Phoenix | 2011/09/17

You''re never too old to start studying again. At the age of 36, I''ve started a degree. It''s a lot of work, but I''m thoroughly enjoying what I am studying. Stick to a reputable institution like Unisa &  you will reap the benefits. Browse their website - there are loads of possibilities. Go for it!

Reply to Phoenix
Posted by: PP | 2011/09/15

If you give up on furthering your studies now because you think you are old, imagine how you will feel when you 40 or 45, what would be your excuse then.... I was too old to study when I was only 35...?
Give yourself time to really think about it. I think writing down the things you''d rather do could help, maybe that will at lead your thoughts to the industry you''d rather be in.
Do not be afraid to be creative, combining professions and all that. Don''t put yourself in a box.
I also suggest you go for career counselling that will help a lot. It does not take much of your time and it is helpful...

Reply to PP
Posted by: Maria | 2011/09/15

You''re definitely not too old. Go for career counselling, and read a book called What Colour is your Parachute by Richard Bolles.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Hornyguy | 2011/09/15

Sad - one is never too old to study. Learning is a continious process throughout ones life - we learn every single day of our lives.

Reply to Hornyguy