Posted by: Amber | 2012-08-28

snoring and apnoea

My boyfriend snores very severly at night. He is not over weight and does exercise, he snores whether he is on his side or back. The snoring is very loud and is depriving me of sleep. He is constantly tired at work and suffers from daily headaches. i have noticed that sleeping pills make it worse, but he takes them becasue he wakes up in the middle of the night and cant go back to sleep. please please help

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Anyone who snores has a 50% chance of having a condition called obstructive sleep apnoea. If, in addition, he is tired during the day, then there is almost certainly a problem.

This condition carries a very high risk of conditions such as heart attack, amongst others, so it is absolutely essential that he gets to see a sleep doctor. The condition can be easily controlled (and the snoring as well!) by someone who knows how to treat it.

Posted by: amber | 2012-08-30

thank you so much! excuse my ignorance but i have never seen a sleep doctor in south africa, how common are they over here?

Reply to amber