Posted by: Peas | 2011-03-18

Hi there,

My 1y 8m old son snores a lot and apparently this is unusual. He does not have a runny nose so I suspect it is his adenoids. Is there any way to treat this without him having surgery, he is so young? I do have Chamiflor nose spray which I give him occasionally and Allecet allergy syrup which I can give him if this might be allergy affected.

Thank you for your time.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Peas

Your child is old enough to have the adenoids removed if this is indicated. Obviously one should try conservative management, and this could be in the form of steroid nasal drops, for a period of about 10 days.
Snoring for longer than 6 months is abnormal and must be corrected, as it may cause severe strain on your child's heart, in the form of right heart failure. Please discuss this with your paediatrician/ENT, as it is better to avoid longterm complications.
Your child's problem should be evaluated and the severity will play a role in the advice you will recieve from your doctors.