Posted by: S-S | 2009-01-21

Sniffles and kitten

Hi CV and all the other Cat Experts!

I have recently adopted a a little stray kitten (4/5 months old or so..). He has received his first vaccinations, is already neutered and has received that intranasal vaccine for sniffles about 1 month ago.

When I got him he was " on the road to recovery"  from the sniffles. About 2 weeks ago the vet gave me some herbal stuff (echinacea - sp?) to use as he was still sneezing and he had really gross discharge coming from his eyes.

The discharge is clear now (but his eyes tear alot) and he still sneezes often with yellow/green snot flying all over the place.

Oh - he has a small hole in his palate, eats normally (Hills kitten dry food) and is a very active kitten.

Is the hole in the palate causing the nasal trouble? (He sniffs really loudly!) Is his immune system too weak to fight it? Does he need an antibiotic? Surely this is too long a period for a kitten to be suffering with sniffles?

Please help.

Dear S-S

It can be a fungal infection, ongoing sniffles or something else. A intra nasal scope would be advisable at this stage.

Posted by: S-S | 2009-01-22

Hi Chill,

He has had an operation to seal the hole but it was unsuccessful... It never closed.

I have scheduled a vet appointment for Saturday... Wil ask her about it then.. I also suspect that that may be the cause. I do hope there is a way to help him...

Thanks Chill!

Reply to S-S
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-21

Ask your vet - the hole in the palate may be letting food or liquid through into his nose or sinuses, setting up an ongoing irritation with infection. Do you have plans to repair the hole surgically?

Reply to Chill