Question
Posted by: fingers | 2011/09/11

sniffing

My friends teen(19) son sniffs his fingers all the time. He puts the two fingers into nostrils and has a few sniffs, then repeats every so often. Have you heard of this before, what could it be? Seems to calm him. Thanks

My cat does much the same thing ( well she likes to sniff MY fingers whenever she gets the chancem and sort of reminisces about whatever the trace scents might suggest to her. Young kids engage in a range of self-comforting behaviours, but usually that stops during the ordinary years of childhood.
Asking does raise a relevant point, even if white powder isn't obvious at the time, there's probably a small possibility that drug use could be relevant here. But more likely it's just an idiosyncratic bad habit.
Presumably, someone has drawn his attention to this, and asked him how he sees it ? Some kids twirl their hair, or stroke their forearm, or whatever. So its not necessarily a problem

3
Posted by: Caro | 2011/09/12

Probably Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour. Not life threatening and no threat to your son. If it calms him down, leave him be. If it doesnt bother your son, dont let it bother you. Kids are much more accepting of each other''s idiosycrasies than adults are. I''m sure also his parents must have noticed it and addressed it or thought it is not so bad that it affects him socially. The fact that he has friends tells us that he is just fine.

Reply to Caro

Posted by: Asking? | 2011/09/11

Does he put any white powder on his finger tips before he does this?

Reply to Asking?