Question
Posted by: A. Viljoen | 2010-06-18

Sneezing cat

My cat sneezes a lot (she has chronic snuffles) and she sneezed in my face this morning. Will I get some sort of illness?

A Viljoen

I really do not think you have anything to worry about.

2
Posted by: Dr B | 2010-06-21

Hi A
There are some diseases that can be transmitted from cats to humans with sneezing like Arboviruses or Bordetella infections. It depends if your cat is sick or if the sneezing is just due to allergy. Chronic snuffles ( cat flu ) is however not contagious to humans. If you vaccinate her against cat flu it may reduce her symptoms though.
Dr Bets!

Reply to Dr B
Posted by: p | 2010-06-18

I don''t think so. I''ve had cats for 3 years now (and I''m that kind of person who hugs and kisses cats on a daily basis) and they occasionally sneeze in my face and I''ve never become ill from that. Otherwise, I''m usually very prone to catching colds from humans who are sick. I believe cats and humans are different and they can''t share the same disease, although there are diseases that we can get when around cats, including all the dangers related to pregnant women touching a cat''s litter box etc.

But Dr. Bets will know for sure.

Reply to p