Question
Posted by: OHNA GROBBELAAR | 2010/05/05

snakebite

Always try to identify the snake when you are bitten. Kill it if you must and take it to the doctor''s. I was bitten by a puffadder when I was only a little girl and because the doctor would not believe the children who was with me and saw the snake, I nearly lost my leg.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I'm sorry you had to go through that as a child - the doctor should have played safe rather than sorry. It is helpful to identify the snake if you can, but it's not a good idea to waste time and put yourself at risk by trying to find, catch or kill the snake. It is much better to focus on getting the bitten person to hospital and watching for symptoms - the doctors will be able to tell from these what treatment to follow.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/05/10

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert