Posted by: Worried | 2009-04-21

My dog was spat in the eyes by what was established by three snake experts I spoke to as a Mozambique Spitting Cobra. We took her to the vet as soon as we arrived home but I have no way of knowing how much time elapsed between the attack and when we found her. Our vet, understandably, cannot state with absolute conviction what the outcome will be.

I did see her pestering something in the garden when I left for work at 7 am but I thought she was fooling around with a bug or beetle of some sort. The last thing on my mind was a venomous snake! She came to say goodbye at the gate and ran straight back to get on with whatever had caught her attention. My son found her when he arrived home from school at 2 pm.

It' s now four days later and although the worst effects of the venom appear to have subsided I can tell that something is " not quite right"  with her vision. It' s difficult to pinpoint but I know her eyesight isn' t the same.

She' s a very tiny dog and we love her dearly. Since she can' t say: " Hey Mom, I' m going to need glasses from now on" , how can I find out the percentage of damage? What tests can be conducted? She appears to be sensitive to light, her pupils are dilated and her judgement seems slightly off. A stranger would never detect a problem but since we know her so well we can see something isn' t quite right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dear Worried

I suspect the problem that the outer layer of the eye (cornea) is still damaged and will need more time to heal. Your vet should talk you through this......