Posted by: Sue Hanekom | 2009-11-25

What do i do when a snake bites me or some-one else. We have no facilities or snake serum near. Closest place is Worcester and that is 60km from us.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

If you don't already have this, make sure you have medical cover that includes helicopter transfer in case of emergency. You also need radio communications if cell phone reception is poor.

I'm not sure what the regulations are in terms of lay persons using snake serum (generally it's not advised and the recommendation is to get the patient to hospital asap), but I will find out about exceptions. Serum is also simply not always available.

This is an excellent question, and highly relevant in the South African context.

Snake bite first aid,32367.asp