Question
Posted by: samantha | 2010/02/17

snacks in between meals

If I have cereal in the morning, at around 10h00 I am usually hungry again. What should I eat then to keep me going to 13h00. The same thing applies to the later afternoon.

Dear Samantha
Healthy snacks include high-fibre or low-GI bread or crackers (low-GI or seed bread or Provitas, carrot or celery sticks, baby tomatoes, fruit like apples, pears or plums, low-fat yoghurt ot cottage cheese or milk, small servings of unbuttered popcorn, or dried fruit or nuts. Also make sure that you are eating low-fat, low-GI food at breakfast and lunch so that your blood sugar levels will remain steady for longer and not dip so low that you get hypoglycaemia. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.

3
Posted by: X | 2010/02/18

Or eat a higher protein, higher fat, lower carb breakfast instead of the low protein, low fat, high carb cereal-based breakfast that you are currently eating.

Try eggs, bacon, sausages, with fried mushrooms / tomatoes / eggplant

or leftovers from dinner e.g. steak/chicken/fish with vegetables (in a butter sauce).

or a home made mueshli made with:
3 parts raw nuts (e.g. almonds),
2 parts double cream greek yoghurt (or one part greek and one part fruit yoghurt if you prefer a sweeter taste)
1 part raw rolled oats
1 part chopped dried fruit (preferably apricots which have a low glycaemic load). Mix it in the evening and leave it overnight in the fridge so that the oats can soften in the yoghurt.

One of these breakfasts should keep you going to lunchtime.

It works for me, but when I succumb and eat a " healthy"  cereal based breakfast I' m also always hungry by teatime...

Reply to X
Posted by: Jada | 2010/02/17

try fruit, yoghurt, nuts, provita' s/rice cakes with cottage cheese &  tomato/cucumber - these are snacks that I eat and seem to work well at filling the gap between meals.

Reply to Jada

Dear Samantha