Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2011/04/19

Snacks

My husband travels a lot. He is actually on the road for 3 days straight, and even drives through the night at times. What snacks can I give him that he can eat on the road. It will have to last for three days untill he returns. At the moment he eats burgers on his way home, since he can get it at a ones stop while refueling.

Dear Lyn
People who have to travel for long periods of time generally do find it difficult to eat a balanced diet when they are on the road. It is after all, so easy to quickly buy a burger and fries. But you can pack him healthy snacks such as low-fat yoghurt, fruit, vegetables, dried fruit, lean cold meat, boiled eggs, low-GI bread, and low-energy drinks such as bottled water and a moderate amount of fruit juice. Click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and do a Search with 'Healthy snacks' to find the articles I have written about this subject. You will have to ensure that any perishable foods are stored in a good cold box together with cold bricks, which should make them keep for the 3 days. Ideally someone who is travelling for such a long time should have a car fridge which can be plugged in to keep food fresh. If this is a possibility you can cook his main meals and pack them into containers to be eaten on the way.

1

Dear Lyn