Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2011-05-08

Snacking

Hello Doc, thank you for your prompt response to my question, Healthy Food For Work. Much appreciated. Now my next question- I am not going to be as physically active anymore as I will spend more time travelling to and from work (where as now I spend my travelling time walking to and from work). So I don''t want to consume as many calories as I am now. I was thinking, would having a normal breakfast and then spend the rest of the day snacking (as opposed to breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper) be OK? Say I have a couple (like literally just 2 or 3) of ProVitas with cucumber and low fat cream cheese or carrots dipped in hummus, a tiny salad / fruit salad, etc every couple of hours (obviously my lunch consists of bread and butter and mayo which are higher in calories, on top of that I eat snacks)? It might keep me fuller to eat in bits and pieces and thus I will eat less at supper time too?

Dear Mandy
It is a pleasure. 'Nibbling' versus 'Gorging' (i.e. 3 large meals a day) has been found to keep weight in check, provided the foods you nibble during the day are healthy, low-fat, moderate-energy foods like the examples you listed (not fat-rich take-aways, sweetened cold drinks, high-energy snack bars, etc). Nibbling does have a positive effect on blood sugar levels and prevents you getting hungry and then overeating at your main meals. Some people eat 6 smaller meals a day by dividing the food they would eat at the 3 main meals in half and eating this food at spaced intervals through the day. If you are no longer walking to work (which is a super way to get some exercise 2 x a day and to control weight), then you may find that fitting in a bit of exercise like skipping which you can do at any time and in most places, will help you stay fit and trim and is not expensive.
As before, I hope your new job will be most successful

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-09

Dear Mandy