Posted by: Michelle | 2011-04-24

Good day. I would like to ask your help regarding snacking after supper? I eat healthily all-day long, with 5 meals, incuding ruits, veg, nuts, chicken into my diet and I exercise 30-45 min a day. The " problem"  is, once I''ve had supper, I have cravings for sweet things. And once I''ve had say liquorice or jellies, I head for the cookie tin. Ive lways had a healthy relationship with food, but sometimes I feel a little out of control, any advice on how to put an end to the cravings/ substitutions? Thank you.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Michelle,
I certainly would encourage that you continue to have your little snack about two or three hours after supper. As with the rest of your day, you are sensibly eating snacks between meals to keep you satisfied. It's important that your blood sugar remain fairly even through the day. A late snack is a good buffer to keep you satisfied until the morning, but I would suggest that you do not have sweets, but rather some fruit/dried fruit, or even a cup of milo, which will not spike your blood sugar as harshly as sweets will do. If you have pure sugar, your blood sugar will rapidly increase and then drop eually fast. Less sugary foods will keep your blood sugar more stable and lend to less cravings. Look up "glycaemic index" as a good guide for the amount of sugar that foods have. However, do not be obsessional and avoid sweets altogether. It's all about balance.