Posted by: Curious | 2009-01-12

Dear DietDoc

Please could you let me know if MIcrowave Pop Corn is a healthy snack? I love Pop Corn and will sometimes make 2 bags of it for myself.

I' m curious to know what other healthy snacking choices I could make. Are Pretzels and Peanuts and Raisins also healthy snacks?

Dear Curious
Plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g ((454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Eat popcorn in moderation as a low-fat snack, but don't overdo things as any food when eaten in excess can cause weight gain. Other snacks you can use, include carrot and celery sticks, baby tomatoes, and other low energy vegetables. Low-fat or fat-free yoghurt and cottage cheese with Provitas or rye crackers also make tasty low-energy snacks. Some makes of pretzels have a high fat content and are not a good choice. Peanuts and raisins are very healthy snacks, but they are high in energy, so don't overdo their intake either.

Posted by: LIZA | 2009-01-13

Is protien bars good to snack on.

Reply to LIZA