Question
Posted by: s | 2012/01/21

snack replacements

I am trying to have a healthier diet and therefore am trying to replace some of the things i''''ve always snacked on with healthier options. In summer its easier because the fruit options are so varied. My question is this, I have a major sweet tooth so sweets, cakes and chocolates were always something I consumed quite a bit of. I''''ve been eating more cereals as a substitute, the favourites being cheerios and kellogs strawberry pops. I eat them as is, no milk no added sugar coz they are already sweet. I know there is alot of sugar in them but do they make a better alternative than what I was having before?

Dear S
Generally speaking breakfast cereals, esp high-fibre cereals which have a low or medium GI and are also fortified with a variety of vitamins and minerals, are a good choice and better for health than sweets, cakes and chocolates. I would suggest that you try and wean yourself from having to eat such sweet foods all the time. Do this gradually over time - one portion less per week - and substitute fresh and dried fruits, nuts, bites-size vegetable portions, low-fat yoghurt and other healthy foods for these high-sugar foods.

1

Dear S