Question
Posted by: Beryl | 2012/09/18

Snack food for Type 1 diaetes

I am pregnant 4 months and taking insulin having been diagnosed with diabetes. they say it is not sure to the pregnancy. I keep on getting low sugar drops morning and afternoon and need to know what is easy to snack on inbetween as I am a school teacher and need to keep the levels constant.
thanks

Dear Beryl
From what you say, I deduce that you may be suffering from gestational diabetes or diabetes of pregnancy. If this is the case, it is important that you should consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in the treatment for you and your baby. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your pregnancy, diabetes, and type of insulin into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The dietitian will also explain to you how you need to spread your intake of foods throughout the day to ensure that you do not develop hypoglycaemia (those sugar lows), which can be dangerous for you and baby. I cannot at this stage recommend low-GI snacks because the snacks and what they contain need to be worked out as part of your individual diet prescription. So please see a dietitian ASAP.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.

1

Dear Beryl