Posted by: gloria | 2009-08-19

smoothies causing bloating ?

dear diet doc

since 3 days ago i decided to replace breakfast with a smoothie as i' ve never been big on fruit and thought thats good way to get it all in, also want to lose weight and i need something give me energy for gym and in general, which it does.

also it keeps me absolutely full till lunchtime, even then i eat just for sake of eating lunch. but side effect is i feel horribly and uncomfortably bloated....because it makes me so full i don' t even want to drink water until evening...before starting smoothies i drank more water and bowel movement was better.

typically its something like
4 pineapple rings
1 cup OJ
1 banana
small yoghurt
1/2 cup milk

or variation with oats etc...makes about 400ml i could only finish about 3/4. what is causing the bloating and what do you suggest please?

Dear Gloria
If you have not previously eaten much fruit, then suddenly having a massive increase in fruit and the dietary fibre and fructose it contains, can cause bloating. I would suggest that you reduce the amount of smoothie to half or one third of the amount to start off with (100 to 150 ml) and use this smaller quantity for a few days to see how you react. If you do not bloat, then gradually increase the volume to about 250 ml (not more). If you still develop bloating then you may well be sensitive or even allergic to some of the ingredients. To discover if you are sensitive to the fruit or the dairy products, eat/drink them separately for a few days (2-3 days just the fruit, and 2-3 days just the milk/yoghurt). You should be able to narrow down what is causing the problem. If you should be sensitive to fruit (this is usually caused by the fructose content), then rather revert to your normal breakfast and eat additional servings of vegetables, which will supply you with the same protective nutrients found in fruit.

Posted by: Desire | 2009-08-21

Hi Gloria,
I cannot eat solid food in the mornings - makes me gag, so I am a smoothie girl!

Also am not much of a fruit fan, and want to get max nutrition out of my ' liquid'  breakfast each day. Here is my daily smoothie recipe, hope it gives you some ideas.......

1 fat free yoghurt, half glass cold water, 1 portion fresh fruit, 1 Quicky breakfast cereal sachet (this is quite expensive, but it' s loaded with nutrients and is made for dieters and/or diabetics), 1 tsp whey protein powder, 2 tsps oat bran, 2 tsps digestive bran.

ALL food groups are covered, and it keeps me full until well past lunchtime which means I have a small lunch and still feel perfectly satisfied until late afternoon.

Reply to Desire