Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2009/11/19

Smoothies

Another nutritient related question Diet Doc...

Sadly I' m not a huge fan of fruit... However, I love a good home made fruit and yoghurt smoothie. I' ve heard talk about the negative effects of blending on the nutrients one gets in a smoothie due to oxidation. Is this going to significantly affect the amount of nutrients I' m getting from my fruit?

Thanks so much for all the interesting and useful advice I am seeing on this forum!

Dear Tessa
Thank you for your kind words which cheer me up no end on this cold and rainy day! Firstly if you are not fond of eating fruit, then rather have your 5-A-Day by eating vegetables. Smoothies are delicious and healthy provided you make the smoothie and drink it immediately. When fruits and vegetables are cut or pureed, nutrients such as vitamin C which is sensitive to exposure to oxygen may be oxidised and some of the nutritive value will be lost. It is thus not a good idea to make large volumes of pureed fruit and then to store it in the fridge for consumption over a few days. Make just enough so that you can enjoy it immediately to obtain the maximum benefits.
Enjoy

1

Dear Tessa
Enjoy