Posted by: DadToBe | 2009-09-14

Smoking while pregnant

My wife is currently 4 months pregnant. She smokes about 3 cigarettes a day. I' ve asked her to stop many times but it always ends up in an argument, which is probably also not good for the baby. So I don' t really know how to approach this subject anymore. I don' t smoke at all.

What I' d like to know is what effect this will have on the baby and whether or not there is anything I can do about it? Is there anything she can take that will help reduce the effects?

I know the correct answer is that she MUST quit smoking but I really don' t know what to do anymore...

Smoking increases the risks of miscarriage and also preterm labour and poor growth in the baby. There is nothing that will decrease this risks while she carries on smoking. 3 cigarettes is not very many so she may get away without problems. There isn't really anything you can do except make her aware of the risks.

Posted by: DadToBe | 2009-09-17

Thank you very much for the reply. I' ll keep working on it. At our last checkup (at 20 weeks) everything was still normal and on track. And all development was normal as well.

Reply to DadToBe