Question
Posted by: ? | 2010/02/11

Smoking when pregnant

I am 11 weeks pregnant and gave up smoking as soon as i found out, yet the cravings sometimes get the better of me and the past couple of days (+/- a week) i will have 1 or maybe 2 cigerettes a day. Will this cause horible harm to my baby? I really do try to go out without, yet i am under a lot of pressure at work and i dont drink alcohol, so my stress relief is a smoke. Please help.

Hallo ?
Everytime you smoke you reduce the amount of oxygen available in the blood for the baby, which is still developing - so smoking is really not good for him/her. Rather teach yourself some stress relieving techniques ( see http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm)

3
Posted by: J | 2010/02/11

You say you don' t drink which is good, but I' m concerned that your comment inferred that you are unaware that one should not drink alcohol when pregnant either.

Basically, its unkown how much alcohol it takes to damage a foetus. So, I the recommended standard it no alcohol when pregnant. ever.

As for the smoking, i agree you need some kind of stress managment techniques. smoking is a no no.

Reply to J
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/02/11

Unfotunately you are setting your baby uo for 2 big risks - 1. miscarriage and 2 heart defect. Both have been proven to be large risks when the mom to be smokes.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/11

Hallo ?

Reply to cyberdoc