Question
Posted by: Snake | 2008/06/27

Smoking Regulations

I am a smoker and probably more likely to die at the hands of a criminal or hi-jacker than from smoking, yet our Government spends its time and emergy on 'soft' targets.
I could not care less about smoking bans - provided I am accommodated. I am happy to go outside. This is not the issue, what is of concern is when so much effort will go into crime prevention, poverty alleviation and the like. On the subject of poverty, many young smokers are simply using to allay the effects of hunger. Fix the hunger, fix the smoking.
Get real people.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, actually you're more likely to die of a tobacco-related illness.

Of course we need the government to put effort into crime prevention and poverty alleviation (let's not forget infectious disease control and road accidents), but at least we can say there's been some progress towards one of the biggest killers - in this country, in any country.

Smoking doesn't wipe out people as suddenly as crime, but wipe out people it certainly does: 5 million (and rising) each year.