Question
Posted by: Jayson | 2011-03-14

Smoking parents while young kids in the car

Is there anything that can be done to report these despicable parents who smoke in their vehicle while there are young kids with them? I read that it is illegal to do this, if theres a child under 12.(Should be the same ages as the age to purchase if you ask me!) Try as I might, I cannot reason why any parent, let alone both - would want to give their children such a rotten start in life. The one child was actually a baby under 6 months and a boy of 4 years.
This is tantamount to child abuse in my books. How is this best dealt with, I don''t think I can just ignore it when I see it happening so regularly.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Hi Jayson
It is very frustrating, but to be honest there is no practical way to report this yet. Unless you could get a photo of the driver, child and number-plate maybe! Or point it out to a police/traffic officer right on the scene. But take heart in the progress (agonisingly slow, but progress nonetheless) we've made in recent years towards tightening up tobacco control. All we can do is keep up the pressure: whenever you're in a venue that the laws are being flouted (many restaurants still), complain to the manager and report them. Even if there is no direct positive outcome, it keeps the issue out there. And keep writing in to forums such as this - you've made me think we need to run a piece specifically on this aspect.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2011-03-17

Hi Jayson

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert