Question
Posted by: Nico Barendse | 2011/09/14

Smoking once a day

Good Day

I am not addicted to smoking, I merely enjoy the " high"  I get from smoking. I do however crave for a cigarette but it is not severe or anything. On average I smoke once or twice a day.

Is that very harmful? Or does it merely cause minimal damage to my health?

I am very health conscious, I eat right, go to the gym, etc. And I would not want to cause my body long-term or any illnesses.

Nico Barendse

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Any amount of smoking is harmful unfortunately. It's not like alcohol, or chocolate, where small amounts can actually do you good!
Look, 1 or 2 cigarettes a day doesn't put you at very high risk for tobacco-related diseases, but it certainly does increase your risk. And we don't know who is going to be most susceptible: for some of us, a pack a day for 50 years won't trigger lung cancer or arteriosclerosis (though it will definitely cause damage); for others, exposure to just 2nd-hand smoke may be enough.
You need to weigh up the pleasure you say you get from a cigarette against the damage and risk. The best course of action would be to find a positive replacement for that "high". It just seems a shame when you clearly work hard at staying healthy otherwise...

1
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2011/09/23

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice