Question
Posted by: Koo | 2009-04-08

smoking in the workplace

Hello :)

I have a friend who is four months pregnant yet her boss smokes around her in the office, and allows all his other employees to do the same. She has repeatedly asked them not to, as not only is it bad for the baby it makes her feel as sick as a dog. They ignore her, and carry on smoking with impunity. I' d like to know what, if anything can be done about it. I feel her boss and his company should be heavily fined. I just wouldn' t know where to begin in terms of reporting his behaviour.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dear Koo
She can lodge a complaint at her human resources department or at the South AFrican national centre for occupational health.
+ 27 11 712 4600 (Tel)
+ 27 11 720-6608 (Fax)
E-mail:
sesokn@health.gov.za
Whitft@health.gov.za
Darwil@health.gov.za

The Tobacco Products Control Amendment Bill states that the fine for an employer found guilty of exposing his employees to tobacco smoke, can be betweenR10 000 to R100 000.