Posted by: SP | 2012-04-16

Smoking in the office

I am sharing an office with a woman who does whatever she wants and gets away with it. She has been working for the firm (an attorneys firm by the way) for more than 20 years now and I have only been working there for seven months. I share an office with her. She lights up her cigarettes in the office before walking outside and during lunch she closes our office door and smokes in the office. I can''t take it anymore. Who can I contact, as complaining about it didn''t seem to help. She also uses extremely bad language (I have never heard anyone talk the way she does and nothing is being done about it. Other staff has informed me that it has always been like this and that she is ''untouchable''. The directors just let her get away with it. Is there anything I can do? Anyone I can contact? We don''t have an HR department, but as I stated before, I am working in an attorneys firm. Thank you.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

SP, gird your loins and ask for an urgent meeting with the senior partner. They are contravening legislation and infringing your rights. What is happening is absolutely unacceptable! You can enlist the assistance of the local health authority or an Occupational / Workplace Medicine Expert ( Doctor). Fight for your legal rights!

Nobody should be exposed to that sort of behavior but I understand why you haven't said anything they will just bulldoze you with their big words - capture it on camra before you approach the directors and if they dissmiss you have a claim agains them at CCMA

Posted by: Lorraine | 2012-06-13

Sorry, one more thing. Why is HUMAN RIGHTS always one sided?
My right to work in a smoke free environment against my right to smoke why I am working?
Anyway.... just a thought from a non-smoker with many other irritating habits for other people......
What do you say about people eating a their desk, with their hands, sneezing exceptionally loud, spraying everyone with germs, slurping coffee, sleeping, moaning and complaining, dressing like a slut, flirting with married men, always knowing better.......

Reply to Lorraine
Posted by: Lorraine | 2012-06-13

You should just find another job where people have habits that you approve of.
Regardless if this is healthy or not, you cannot force your wants and needs onto other people. Not in the office environment and not socially either.
I am sure you also do a thing or 2 that offend other people.....

Reply to Lorraine
Posted by: Zilch | 2012-06-07

Please guys, put your health first, look for new employment that has everything i.e. HR department to put your grievanes because whether you report this or not things will never change, this person has such a solid relationship (20 yrs) with the firm, they''ll never listen to you, probably the person you replaced left for the same reasons, even it''s is attorneys office, you''d think they''ll know about human rights but a Big No!!!! Just leave, this your life &  your health.

Reply to Zilch