Posted by: Mandy | 2009-07-21

Smoking in office

Hi Dr.

I recently got employed by a boss whom I didn' t know but smokes in the office and it is a very small office and I' m finding that I' m weezing when I take a deep breath. He will come and smoke in my office and all over the office really. Is the smoke causing the weezing? How do I approach this problem because I thought that in terms of the Law smoking is not allowed in offices and that it was meant to either be done in a " smoking area"  or outside?

The problem is that he is an attorney and I really don' t know what to do and I' m scared that it' s going to damage my lungs inhaling second hand smoke. He smoke about 40 cigarettes per day.

Thanks so much.

Dear Mandy
He is not allowed to smoke in your working area - please ask your doctor to write a letter saying that you are allergic to smoke and that you have to work in a smoke free zone. If you have a HR person at your firm, please discuss this with her/him?
dr Bets