Posted by: robert | 2008-12-17

smoking during pregnancy

my wife and i are ready to start our family but she still smokes.
she say' s she will stop when she falls pregnant. can the shock affect the baby. i refuse to discuse this while she still smokes,
am i being silly
she smokes about 5 to 10 smokes a day

Please note that during the festive season and annual shut down period no questions were attended to. The experts are back and if you are still interested in a response to your post, please re-post the question and it will be attended to promptly.

Kind regards

Dr M.I. Cassim and Dr Y. Dasoo

Posted by: tanya | 2009-01-13

i also smoked during my pregnancy, my precious daughter is 20months now, and very healthy!! she weigh 3.46kg at birth, and i went into labour at 39 weeks. i do not say ok moms, smoke, do not quit smoke!!! no, not at all, i felt quilty alot of times, but I thank God that my child is healty,she did not have colic nothing, if you can quit smoking when pregnant do it, i want to have another baby now, i am still smoking, i really hope to quit this time, I really do. so, i do not think bad of mothers smoking during pregnancy, alchol is out!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not presure your wife to much, rather talk to her, but no presure.

Reply to tanya
Posted by: Smoker | 2008-12-18

I smoked about 6 sigarettes a day when I was pregnant with my son.
My son was born at 35 weeks, and weighed in at 3.4 kg' s.
He was the most relaxed baby I have ever come accross.
He didn' t suffer from cramps, winds and hardly ever cried, only when hungry.
Today he is a highly intelligent child - in Gr. 2, got awards like nothing at the prize giving, and loves taking part in sports.
Everything in moderation....

Reply to Smoker
Posted by: Ex-smoker | 2008-12-17

Hi Robert,

I used to be a smoker myself (smoked about 7 per day), and struggled with infertility. I said the same, as soon as I fall pregnant I will quit. We went through IUI, IVF and nothing worked. (smoking affects the uterine lining which makes it more difficult for the embryo to implant. It also causes premature aging of the eggs). I decided to quit, and started exercising, and eating healthy in preperation of the next IVF. Within 2 months I was pregnant on my own. I am not saying that it happened because I quit smoking, but leading a healthy lifestyle definitely helps. Smoking can also harm the baby, it will have a lower birthweight, and the chance of miscarriage is also increased...

Reply to Ex-smoker