Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/01/23

Smoking chamomile tea

Can smoking chamomile tea be harmful to my health, other than damaging my lungs, heart, etc.

I mean, can it cause paranoia and possibly psychosis as dagga does? I' m schizophrenic and find it relaxing to drink and smoke chamomile, so it' s important to me to know whether it could cause me to become psychotic again.

Smoking ANYTHING is not good for one's lungs, mouth, throat, etc. I don't know of any studies on the chemicals in chamomile tea as released when smoked rather than when an infusion is drunk. A problem with herbs is that they are dirty in the sense that they contain many different chemicals, many not even identified yet, unlike the usually single chemical in medicinl pills. And when a herb is smoked rather than drunk as an infusion, some of the chemicals might change, others not.
I haven't come across any reports of ill-effects from smoking CHamomile,. If it calms you, that could be useful. Don't you find the same benefits from drinking it in the usual way ? As it has been consumed in that way for many many years, and with no reports of ill-effects, we know it is likely to be safe ; smoked we ust have less knowledge. If you do find any snags arising from using it in this way, do let us know on the forum, so we can take note of that. In fact, if you find NO problems from it, let us know, too !

1