Posted by: Koert | 2009-09-04

Smoking cessation question

Dear Dr Breedt

I am a medical student in my third year. I have been a smoker since grade 9. I am very aware of the irony!

Two weeks ago, however, I stopped cold turkey. This has not really been a problem for me, but I must admit that I have taken a drag here and there. I have not bought a pack since, however.

My question is: since quitting, I have noticed that my lungs actually seem weaker in the mornings than before. It almost feels as if I can take in less air than before going to bed, and it takes a while for the lungs to " wake up" ...

Does this sound stupid? Is there something I can do to exercise the lungs? I am a bit hesitant to jump right into jogs or other cardio workouts, since I am convinced that my inabilities will demotivate me.

Thank you for this service. I hope to hear from you soon.

It takes quite a while for the lung function to return to normal and for the scilia to function properly. Cardio-vascular exercise (taken slow at first, i.e. long fast walks) will assist in speeding up the recovery process of your lungs.