Question
Posted by: almost mad | 2010/04/14

smoking-anxiety-asthma

Hi doc,

Long time speak. I have suffering with my anxiety. I am on cilift and have been for 3 years. I stopped smoking 1 and a half years ago and I now have asthma. Weired that I got asthma when i stopped smoking, I know. Anyway, my stress at work is killing me and I really want to smoke to help me cope as it eases my nerves. I know its not worth it but then neither is a nervous breakdown. What do I do????? Anyone, as dumb as it sounds, should I start smoking again?

The asthma may still be related to the smoking, only revealing itself after you gave it up. Don't start smoking again it does NOT prevent nervous breakdowns, and could well make your asthma worse. Rather see a good psychologist for CBT, and get control over your anxiety and your reaction to it

1