Posted by: Anon | 2012-12-05

Smoking and pregnancy

Any advice to help deal with the cravings whilst pregnant? I managed to completely stop for about 3 weeks but it''s hard with a spouse and friends who still smokes around the house! I feel extremely guilty to spite the fact that I went from smoking a pack and half a day to not even smoking one a day since finding out I''m pregnant.

My sister smoked throughout her entire pregnancy, her gynie told her to obiviously cut back but the shock and stress caused by stopping cold turkey is also not good for the baby. What can I do?

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Very well done on your efforts to stop so far. I'm sorry to hear there are still people smoking at your house, because that is a trigger for you to smoke and the second-hand smoke can harm you and your baby in utero and after he/she is born. So one step would be to discuss making your home a smoke-free zone, or limiting smoking to outside or just one area at least. It's true it's not good to be stressed during pregnancy, but the benefits of quitting for you and your child's health outweigh this. Each cigarette smoked is directly depriving your baby of oxygen and delivering toxins via the bloodstream; thinking about this each time you want to smoke is a powerful deterrent for many future parents. Please also talk to your doctor about concerns you have about quitting during pregnancy, and what help and quit aids are available to you.

Its great that you are thinking about your baby's health and what dangers for smoking during pregnancy are.Make sure that you remove all the triggers for you smoking again and the most important thing right now is the baby.Good luck