Posted by: Sproetjies | 2009-08-07

smoking &  ectopic pregnancy

My first pregnancy was not planned for and I was still smoking at the time when I got pregnant. It turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. I know smoking can cause ectopic pregnancies, but could I try using the e-cigarettes to stop smoking while I' m trying to conceive? What exactly is it in cigarettes that can cause an ectopic pregnancy? Is it the nicotine or is it some of the other harmfull chemicals in cigarettes?

Dear Sproetjies

There seems to be some association between an ectopic pregnancy and smoking however there is no direct cause and effect relationship between the two. However it is important that you try and stop smoking if you are trying to conceive, as smoking in pregnancy itself might be detrimental to the baby. The more likely reason why ectopic pregnancies occurs, if there are damage to the fallopian tubes or it’s surrounding structures.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo