Posted by: Jack Smith | 2012-09-26

I am 23 Years old and still have parties now and then over the weekends. When I drink and smoke heavely over the weekend I have severe trouble sleeping and heartbeats. I know the smoking is contributing to this but is my heart also keeping me out of sleep.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Jack Smith

It is normal for your body to react to an alcoholic binge by increasing your heart rate and blood pressure.. Palpitations are therefore a common symptom in people who have drunk too much.

The simple solution: don’t drink so much, and throw away the cigarettes! As far as your health is concerned, cigarettes are never a good thing. Two or three glasses of wine, or two or three beers, are acceptable (provided you are not driving!) but more than that may damage your health. Why damage your most precious asset?

Best wishes, JT