Posted by: Madie | 2009-07-27

1. Hi there, how long does it take for nicotine to get out of your bloodstream?

2. I sit in an office where people smoke all the time, will that have an effect on a nicotine count in my bloodstream

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

1. For a regular smoker, it takes about 3-4 days for the nicotine to clear from the bloodstream. If you are exposed to nicotine via second-hand smoke, you would have lower levels in your blood and it wouldn't take that long.
2. Yes, it will increase the nicotine levels in your body. But although nicotine is the addictive substance in tobacco, it's actually not the one that's really harmful - it's all the other toxins you're being exposed to in cigarette smoke.

I have a question for you: Why are you working under these conditions? It is illegal to smoke in any workplace, except in a separate, closed-off smoking area! Your employer can be heavily fined for allowing this.