Posted by: Kyco | 2009-01-07

Smoke damage

Hi, please can you give me some advise. I work in a building that had quite an extensive fire in late November, I helped with the clean up and carried on working etc, then went on leave for half the month of December came back to work on Tuesday this week and had one of the worst nights in my life. I could not breathe and stuggled to take a breath I was also wheezing - almost like an asthma attack, felt that something heavy was on my chest (I don' t think I have asthma). Before I went on leave after the fire had occured I also battled at night with breathing and wheezing, while I was away I was fine.

They have not cleaned the downstairs yet and the smell is very strong do you think I am reacting to the ' fumes'  and what can I do? Is it necessary to go to a Doc or do I just ride it out?

Dear Kyco
You should inform your health and safety officer at work that you have symptoms and please see a doctor as they may need to move you to a workstation where you do not breathe in any fumes or book you off until they have cleaned up the place. Your airways may be irritated from chemicals in the building. If you get a full blown asthma attack this can be very dangerous