Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2011-01-25

Smile, and the universe will smile back

Dear Prof
I have realised that happiness is a state of mind. Basic things like greeting people, listening (really listening with eye contact), complimenting people on how good they look (those who look good), asking a lady beggar at the robots how is she feeling (not only giving money through a window crack), answering the phone with a smile (even though the caller cannot see you), letting go of worries, stopping self-criticism, the list is endless. I''ve realised that these are the things that make people of all ages and race attracted to me. I''m a 35 yr old black female but ages of my friends range from 20 - 60 years, and all races. What I am saying is that it is easier to be happy than angry. Anger takes a whole out of you. You cannot avoid sad or " anger"  days but only you are in charge. Before I sound like some motivational guru, my point is people should learn to let go of toxic emotions, and SMILE :) Thanks Prof.

It is indeed, surprisingly often, a choice, just as unhappiness is often a choice. And studies have shown that people appreciate you and like your voice much more over the phone, if you smile as you are speaking.
And thank goodness, you are talking about real and genuine friendships, rather than the phoney virtual friendships of Facebook and its ilk. Yes, too, anger is hard work and very tiring. And you sound far too sensible to be a motivational guru ! I think I could sense you were smiling as you typed ?

9
Posted by: Absolutely! | 2011-01-25

And that pretty much is the sole purpose of life on earth, the pursuit of happiness!

Reply to Absolutely!
Posted by: Whatta | 2011-01-25

As Abraham Lincoln once said - one is as happy as you make up your mind to be!!

Reply to Whatta
Posted by: Absolutely! | 2011-01-25

Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply to Absolutely!
Posted by: Rot | 2011-01-25

Hi Absolutely
Thanks for your wickedly, funny reply.
Now that really made me SMILE.

Reply to Rot
Posted by: Sensible | 2011-01-25

I''m still smiling, thanks Prof :-)

Reply to Sensible
Posted by: Absolutely! | 2011-01-25

Unless you were in Hiroshima innocently pruning your garden the morning of August 6, 1945, I think my dear regardless of how hard you were smiling the " universe"  had other things in mind.

Reply to Absolutely!
Posted by: Rot | 2011-01-25

So your okay then - thanks for the condesending post!

Reply to Rot
Posted by: Mel | 2011-01-25

Amen!!! I agree with you 100%............. The Secret say we are our thoughts......... Be positive and positive things will happen.
Thanks Sensible. Well said!!!!!

Reply to Mel