Posted by: steph | 2008-12-30

smelly sausage !

thanks for the help with my barking daxie. i also have a wirehaired daxie, he is 13 years old and was recently diagnosed with DCM and subsequent CHF. He is on lasix and fortikor at the moment as well as vetmedin ( pimobendan) he is not showing overt signs of heart failure, we discovered it on a routine checkup when i requested a chest x-ray as both of the brother dogs died of the same thing. my dog has a history of skin problems and he smells terribly! he has in the past been given steroid therapy to treat the issue but it seldom works, in fact he seems to deteriorate even further about 10 days after the meds/injections are given. do you have any alternative advice, i am a bit desperate. he does scratch quite a lot as well. but i frontline him on a regular basis. he seems to scratch his bottom a lot, despite regular deworming

Dear Steph

Efazol or mirra cote with any skin condition will help. For smelly dogs you can shampoo them 3 times a week with Pyoderma or Pyostat for a start.

Posted by: steph | 2009-01-01

thanks, i looked at the malassazia, and it looks as though that is the problem. i will take my pooch off to the vets and ask them to look into this ! a lot of the articles recommended selsun blue shampoo, i know this is commonly used with psoriasis patients, but cant seem to find it in SA. do you know if it is still available in SA? i have used a solution of Isopropyl alcohol,boric acid and gentian violet to clean his ears and it worked like a bomb!

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-30

Do a google on Malassezia dermatitis, the skin thing sounds like it could be that, it' s a fungus infection that does have an unpleasant smell. The scratching of the posterior could be an impacted anal gland - sounds like you see your vet regularly, ask him to check this out next time.

Reply to Chill