Posted by: Randy | 2008-11-13

smelly pooh ears

Zoe my 4 year old Cker spaniel has this recurring fould smell coming from her ears- I have had it surgically cleaned, several times administered drops, clipped the ears and cleaned out with swobs but the problem just seems to come back time upon time.
some one has mentioned that this may be either
due to poor ventilation of the ear shaft
or mites (which I doubt she has)
yeast infection due to incorrect diet
i must admit that she gets spoilt on cookies and sweet treats
more than just occasionally - could it be that the sugar content causes yeast infecton which makes this nasty smell?
some days it is unbearable and as she has never been left outside unattended for more than 15 minutes in her entire life - putting her out will totally devastate the poor little princess.

also is it a fallacy that dogs must be allowed to have a litter before being nuetered to prevent later complications?
and does keeping a bitch restrained and preventing her from mating and leaving her unspayed at the same time lead to problems such as cancer etc ...
one hears so many things these days and dont know what is fact is fallacy.
thanks would appreciate if any knowledgeable person can educate me on this.

for the eh pand is it advisarrorbnysdriy o siterI hav

Dear Randy

Smelly ears is usually caused by a allergy of some sort. What you can do to limit the amount of ear infections as follows. Put your dog on a sensitive skin diet (HIlls, Eukanuba) because it is skin that runs down the ear canal. Put the dog on essential fatty acids for life and clean the ears 3 times a week with a ear cleaner.

Dogs do not have to have a litter but spaying them before a first season reduces the risk of mammary cancer later in life.

Posted by: randy pooh | 2008-11-17

thanks so much
appeciated - some one suggested i give her plain yogurt as well - helps with the fighting bacteria .

Reply to randy pooh