Posted by: Smelly | 2008-11-17

Smelly Naval and Discharge

Good Morning

I watched a show on Oprah were a woman said that she had a smelly naval with a discharge. The doc advised her to go for a check-up as she might have a growth in her abdomen.

When I clean my naval (I assume that one is supposed to clean one' s naval - usually with a little hairclip very gently) there a small soft whitish or light beige smelly clump that comes out. Thereafter it feels like my naval is wet (although I don' t see any drops or actual liquad or dis/coloration). The smell is unpleasant and quite strong.

Is this normal - considering that the naval leads into the abdomen?

What is the clump?

Could the discharge(wetness) and clump be an indication of ill-health?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Dear Smelly,
Clean your belly button with surgical spirits, what you find is the normal skin oil mixed with old skin cells that gives of an unpleasant smell. You can then put a little bit of Bactroban ointment in the belly button.

Posted by: c | 2008-11-17

I used to have to same problem for almost 30 years, but while repairing my hiatus hernia the doc also repaired a " nael breuk" . Since them I just dry out my navel after bathing but the " smelly"  stuff has stopped... I must say but for the discomfort of " smelling"  I never had any other major problems with this.

Reply to c