Posted by: Julie | 2011-05-05

Smells that aren''t there

Hi Doctor

I have a question concerning smelling things that aren''t there. I sometimes (note not that often - say once or twice month maybe) smell foul odours such as feaces or garbage.

I have recently had an MRI of my head due to terrible headaches. The doctor did not say anything about the MRI - so it seems normal. I take Trepeline 10mg to alliviate the headaches and this works wonderfully.

I also have a constantly sore neck and also had an MRI of my neck which showed buldging discs. This (I think) attributes the pain I get in my forearms and sometimes my skin is sore (which I understand is nerve pain). I did take Lyrica for the nerve pain but only for a month to see how it went. Although it alliviated this pain, I am not taking it as it makes me terribly sleepy and tends to make me gain weight.

My question is whether I should be worried about the smells I get and whether when the doctors were looking at the MRI they were looking for something related to headaches and not this smelling thing that I experience from time to time?

Oh, I''m 30 ish female.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

If you experience migraine headaches, it is normal to experience the sensation of odours. I suggest that you consult a neurologist to investigate the possibility that you are experiencing classical migraines. He/she will be able to assist with treatment.

Your cervical spine can also cause headaches, which is a referred pain from the area of muscle spasm from the necek. I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for treatment of the muscle spasm.