Question
Posted by: CHABI | 2009/01/07

SMALL WOMB

I AM 32 YEARS OLD I DID NOT MENSTRUATE SINCE I WAS BORN. THE DOCTORS DID THE LAPARASCOPY. THEY SAY THEY FOUND OUT THAT MY WOMB IS SMALL DID NT GROW SO I CAN MENSTRUATE IS THERE NO OTHER OPTION THAT I CAN DO?

Dear Chabi

The important issue in this problem is whether both ovaries are present and whether they are still functional i.e. whether you ovulate regularly despite the fact that there is no menstruation. Should this be the case then the possibility of surrogacy maybe be considered, where your eggs can be harvested through in-vitro fertilization and fertilized with your partner’s sperm and the embryos which are so produced can then be transferred into a surrogate uterus (womb) and in that way you could acquire your own biological offspring. However it is important to ensure that the findings of the laparoscopy are verified in that often under active or aplastic ovaries may also result in a very small womb, which does not function, and the situation in this case is completely different. In this case it is possible to use donor eggs, which may implant in your womb once it is adequately prepared. I would suggest that you see a fertility specialist to evaluate the situation carefully.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim