Question
Posted by: Alta vd Westhuizen | 2011-05-27

Small dogs

Ive got two Jack Russels 3year old that never slept in a Doghouse. They always sleep on a stoop. But because our Winters is very cold I want to learn them to sleep in a Doghouse. Is it to late or will they be able to learn to sleep in a Doghouse?.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Alta, nice to hear from you and great idea to get them in a dog house, it can really get cold, especially early morning. Firstly i would place the dog house on the stoep where the dogs normally sleep.
Dogs normally never object to kennels unless they have had a bad expereience, just put in a few blankets for them to lie on. they are naturally den animals and so this comes naturally to them. If you are experiencing any problems, then, working with one dog at a time, put in the blankets and a really nice chew Femur bone. The dog will go in to chew on it and you stand outside and if the dog tries to come out with the bone, just take it away and throw back in again. they pick up the idea very quickly. the golden rule here is that is the dog brings the bone out, it is either taken away altogether or else put back in. The kennel then really becomes a rewarding place for the dog. Good luck and do let me know how you go, thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: Scotty | 2011-05-31

Hi, firstly ignore it when they play and chew on it - to call attention to this behaviour will just reinforce it. Supply more exercise and stimulation, especially before bed time. Put in the chewy bone just before bedtime (make sure no fighting over bones first) If this behaviour is happening during the day, only put in blankets at night. Lastly, so many dogs do this, if above does not work just dedicate these blankets to the dogs and if they rip them up, they rip them up!

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Alta vd Westhuizen | 2011-05-30

What can I do to let them leave the blanket alone.

Reply to Alta vd Westhuizen
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-05-27

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert