Question
Posted by: Tersia | 2010/06/30

Slow weight loss

I am trying my best to lose weight. Since January i have lost 7 kilos. I am 54 years old and weight 54 kilos.
When i checked your BMI indicator i still need to lose 4 kilos.
Could you please tell me what i can subsitute the red meat with as i think the only way to lose those extra 4 kilos will be to restrict my intake of red meat.

Dear Tersia
Congratulations on losing those 7 kg - you are a **star**. It helps to reduce your total fat intake because fat provides 37 kJ per gram compared to carbohydrates (16 kJ/g) and proteins (17 kJ/g). This entails cutting down on visible fat on meat (remove the skin on poultry and the fat on chops and steak, etc), skimming off fat on top of stews, avoid cooking with large quantities of fat or oil, etc. Restricting red meat will reduce your fat intake, but you still need to eat some chicken or even pork which is classified as 'white meat' to ensure that you get sufficient iron and zinc in your diet, otherwise you could develop anaemia due to iron deficiency. Eat more poultry without the skin and substitute fish for red meat. Legumes (dry, cooked or canned peas, beans, lentils and soya products can also be used successfully as substitutes for meat because legumes have a very low fat content and also contain plant protein and minerals.
Good luck with losing those last 4 kg.

1

Dear Tersia
Good luck with losing those last 4 kg.