Question
Posted by: Kinnie | 2009-05-15

Slow response to Fertomid

I need your opinion on this. In 2006-2007 I went for 3 IUI' s. (1 failed, 1 miscarried and 1 successful pregnancy). There is no problems on my side and my husband' s sperm has low motility (5%). I am now 38 and we want to try again. The first time I was on Fertomid (50mg) CD 4-8 and producing 3 nice big follies on all 3 occasions. This morning I went for my 1st scan after Fertomid CD4-8 and my FS said I have 3 very small follies, only 10-12mm and it seems I am very slow to respond to the Fertomid (50mg) this time around. I must go back Monday to see if the follies have grown bigger. My cycles has been normal since the birth of my LO and are between 23-27 days long. At my last appointment with my gynea in Feb she did a scan and I was on CD17 and it shows I was about to ovulate and there was 3 big follies. Is it possible that my ovulation time could move to so late in my cycle? And what is the chances that my current small follies will grow bigger?

Dear Kinnie

It is possible that you could be ovulating a bit later but it is more likely that you would be ovulating a little bit earlier if your cycle lengths are shorter than 28 days. The more likelihood is that you may not have ovulated that particular month and the follicle may have persisted. There is a chance for some small follicles to grow bigger with time and that will need to be assessed on a subsequent ultrasound.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo