Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2011/04/07

Slow Metabolsim

I have a very slow metabolism. Had tests done. Battle with my weight. I want to try the Slender wonder thing, but my friends say I must rather not. I''m a known hypotensive pt. Is there something I can take to faster my metabolism?

Dear Bernie
I presume that the tests you mention included a test for an underactive thyroid? and that the results did not show that you have hypothyroidism? If this is correct, then probably the best method for stimulating your metabolism is to start doing exercise. Physical exercise increases what is called the Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) for up to 24 hours after doing the exercise. The BMR represents the amount of energy your body uses to keep its basic processes going (breathing, digestion, etc) even when you are asleep. So if you do exercise you not only use up additional energy while you are doing the exercise, but by increasing your BMR you will also keep your metabolism ticking over at a higher level, thus using up more energy. I would recommend that you combine whatever type of exercise you like doing (brisk walking, swimming, cycling, going to the gym or to Walk for Life, etc) with a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat diet. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet, which you can use as a guideline. Do your exercises for at least 30 min a day, but please start slowly and carefully and follow the signals of your body as you increase how much exercise you do per day.

1

Dear Bernie