Posted by: storm | 2009-05-06

slow mag and nordette

hi doc, am currently on nordette as a contraceptive i have been having very bad leg cramps and my doc prescribed slow mag once a day my question is does ot cancel out the effectiveness of the pill?

and also this is my second month on nordette and have been expriencing a brown discharge a week before i start taking my inactive pill. wat could this be? does it mean the pill is not working?

thank you and have a lovely day

Dear Storm
Slow Mag will not affect your pill. You are probably getting what we call breakthrough bleeds - the level of hormones drop just slightly too low in that period, causing a very light bleed. This is not dangerous, or a sign that the pill is not working, but is irritating! If it persists after your third month on this pill tell your doctor as he may need to consider changing you to a pill with just a slightly higher hormone content.