Question
Posted by: Lorella | 2010/03/02

slimming world doctors'' diet

hi, does someone have any feedback on this new diet being promoted by doctors? I think it''s called slimming world (?) and you receive injections of leptin and you follow a reduced carb diet and then a once-a-month injection as maintenance after weight loss.
As it''s very expensive, i would like to know the health pros/cons involved. My own doctor and her receptionist have done this and have lost lots of weight, but is it because of the injections or because of the restricted diet? would like an unbiased opinion.
thanks

Dear Lorella
I have not yet seen what the Slimming World Doctor's Diet entails, but from what you say, it sounds just like a variation of the old Atkins high-protein, high-fat diet that induces ketosis. Now such diets do cause weightloss, but they also have negative side-effects (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with 'Atkins Diet' to read about the side-effects) and most people find that the moment they return to eating a normal diet they regain the weight they have lost. Then there are those injections! Well if they really do contain leptin then in most cases it won't help (you could just as well be injected with salt solution), because there are very, very few individuals with a true leptin deficiency. Other individuals with weight problems make plenty of leptin, but their body cells are "resistant" to the leptin, so injecting even more leptin into the body won't help and as you say, it costs a lot of money. I would recommend that you rather use some of that money to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for a low-fat, low-GI and energy restricted, balanced diet. Also use some of the money to join a good gym or Walk for Life - this is the safer, sensible approach and it won't cost you mega-bucks or expose you to injections of hormones that may or may not disrupt your metabolism.
Hope this helps

2
Posted by: John | 2010/03/02

The name is " slender wonder" . It is with " staving"  diet.

Reply to John

Dear Lorella
Hope this helps