Posted by: Lebo | 2012-11-07

Slimming wires

My 10 year old is obese,we''ve been to a diatician &  Gp. Is wiring legal in south africa? Can it be done on a 10 year old?

Dear Lebo
I am sorry to hear that your 10-year-old child is obese. I am not sure at what age mouth wiring is legal in SA, but I would not recommend it for a child that is still growing. What did your dietitian recommend? If you were given a balanced slimming diet for a 10-year-old and encouraged to start doing daily physical exercise, then Please use these safer methods of getting your child to lose weight. There is no quick fix for childhood obesity. It is vital that the child learns responsible eating habits and a lifelong exercise or activity ethic. It is important to remember that even obese children still need to grow and develop normally and that they need a whole array of nutrients to achieve normal growth and development. Please consider what your dietitian recommended and combine this with daily exercise for your child. Also keep in mind that a person of any age with wired jaws is still able to drink high-energy liquids through a straw!
Take care

Posted by: khumbelo | 2014-12-01

am going to have my wire on today. would like to know what type of food can i eat?

Reply to khumbelo
Posted by: tumi | 2014-09-30

am about to get my wire implanted my other dentist is telling about the slimming balls[checked online about it,but cant find any information about it] so now am puzzeled cause I need to lose some weight..please advice

Reply to tumi

I currently have slimming wires on and I lost 7kg in 3 weeks,i believe that this is not a way out of losing weight but at the sme time I love the fact that I have lost weight. I was having a problem with my knee and ankle joints because I was overweight and right now I feel the pains no more "I exercise and drink homemade fruits and vegetables shakes"...but many times during the weekend am tempted to remove the slimming wires when I sense all kinds of also scared that I might gain weigh after taking them out if I am not disciple,but I trust that I will have a healthy diet so not to gain weigh... please don't let your 10year old get the slimming wires,instead exercise and eat healthy as a family

Posted by: ME | 2012-11-09

You said you''ve been to a dietician but did you follow their eating plans etc? Excercise is VITAL and rather than making your child feel embarressed by forcing him or her to do this on their own, make them family activities - get eating plan tailored for the whole family so the child doesnt feel singled out. COrrect nutrition and exercise are key.

Reply to ME
Posted by: Lebo | 2012-11-07

what age is safe to have slimming wires placed?

Reply to Lebo
Posted by: Carol | 2012-11-07

Please don''t do it to a 10-yr old. Wiring cuts out eating completely for the duration that the wire is on. It will make the child binge eat when the wire comes off. It might scare the child for life and will not resolve the problem permanantely. Do family exercises like walking, make sure the child does school sport and change the whole family''s eating habits so that the child is not singled out.

Reply to Carol