Posted by: Emma | 2009-01-21

Slimming Pills and MAO' s

I am 32 years of age and a mum of two, since having Post Natal depression with my first child I have been taking Setraline 50mg daily, more nowfor anxiety rather than depression.
I have just started taking (about 2 wks) ' Sida Cordifolia Complex' , per 2 capsules contains - (recommended twice daily)
Sida Cordifolia Extract 300mg
Guarana 400mg
Korean Ginseng 50mg
Siberian Ginseng 50mg
Ginger Root 30mg
Gelatine Capsule

I wondered am I at any health risk being that I take Sertraline?
Is Sertraline classed as a MAO?
What (if any) other product could you recommend to aid me with my new get fit/slimmer regime? I am hoping to loose about 18lbs and tone up all the loose bits ha ha.

Many thanks

Emma Hickey

Dear Emma
Sertraline HCl antidepressants are not MAOIs, but it is essential that you discuss the use of any other medication, including over-the-counter and herbal products, such as the Sida Cordifolia Complex, when taking an antidepressant with the dr who prescribes your antidepressant or your pharmacist, because some of the ingredients may cause interactions that can be detrimental. I am personally opposed to the use of such herbal slimming pills because they can cause negative side-effects or not delivery the desired weightloss effect. It is better, safer and more sensible to use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (Diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects, etc), esp the negative effects of herbal and other over-the-counter slimming products by clicking on 'Diet Detective'.