Question
Posted by: anon | 2011/04/06

Slimming Diet

I am extremely overweight and have decided to do something about this!! I had a look around on the website and found the slimming diet and it looks very good and it doesn''t look like it might deprive you of or make you go hungry as most diets do.

I have just a few questions regarding the meals: for the breakfast do I have to have a serving of fruit and fruit juice if so, which fruit juice is the best? And can I replace the cheese on w/wheat toast with marmite sometimes?
Now for lunch, do I have to have four slices of bread or can I only have two, and which meat or cold meat is better?

The one thing I wanted to ask as well is, how much weight should one lose in a week and if a person is allowed one treat a week? And how much water should one drink a day, I do two liters a day and is sweeto coldrinks alright to drink?

Thank you so much.

Dear Slimming Diet
I shall attempt to answer your questions in the sequence that you have posed them: 1) The standard slimming diet suggest that you have a fruit or some fruit juice (not both - you have the choice). 2) You can select a fruit juice that you enjoy if you decide to have fruit juice, for example freshly squeezed orange juice is a good choice. 3) You can replace the cheese on the wholewheat bread with Marmite, but if you find that you get hungry more rapidly then rather have a portion of protein with your wholewheat toast (for example, a boiled egg, fat-free cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons of cooked or canned legumes such as lentils, peas, beans or soy products), because these foods have a lower glycaemic index (GI) than the Marmite and will keep you feeling full for longer. 4) The suggestion that you use 4 slices of wholewheat or any other type of bread (including rye or low-GI bread), is for slimmers who get hungry more rapidly or have a higher energy requirement. If you find that 2 slices of bread satisfy you and do not cause hunger pangs (which can lead to cravings and reduce the chances of sticking to the diet), then that is fine. 5) Any low-fat cold meat or cooked meat or fish is suitable, for example lean grilled steak sliced very thinly, cooked chicken breast sliced thinly, any of the thinly sliced ham, chicken or beef products sold in supermarkets (but not polonies or high-fat cold cuts). 6) In general, a loss of 0,5 kg per week is regarded as safe and achievable. Losing more weight per week could make you feel tired and prevent you from including exercise in your weightloss regimen. 7) Having treats depends on what treat you have in mind, but it is better to avoid having highly processed, high-fat foods or drinks that contain sugar or alcohol. If having a treat is going to derail your diet then rather avoid them for the time being until you have lost your first 10 kg. 8) It is recommended that adults should drink 2,5 litres of liquid a day (this includes any coffee, tea, cold drinks, milk, or water you may drink). Excessive liquid intake can cause problems such as electrolyte disturbances. Moderation is the key. 9) If sweeto cold drinks do not contain sugar, then you can probably use them.
Wishing you all the best with your weightloss

1

Dear Slimming Diet